Monday, June 8, 2009

Mm-mm-mm... Strawberry jam

I always loved the taste of a home-made jam but never actually made one. Until now. For something that I was making over the weekend, I needed jam. Any jam, really. I was going to use a store bought jam that I have plenty of in the house until I remembered that I had some strawberries in the fridge that were getting old and that I also had some pectin that I bought a while back in hopes of making a jam. It did not take me too long to reach a brilliant conclusion that -- finally!-- it is time for some home made strawberry jam.

By the time I was ready for the jam-making session, the strawberries have already gone bad. Not letting this sway me off course, I ended up buying some strawberries from the store along with whatever rhubarb they had left. I used strawberry-rhubarb jam recipe from Mike's Table. Next time (and there will definitely be a next time), I will add some lemon juice to make that wonderful sweet and little tart flavor combination a little more pronounced.

No comments:

Post a Comment